As a bit of a summary after our road trip camping across central Finland:
- Our kids are 4 and almost 3, and they loved all of it; sleeping in a tent, and spending loads of time outdoors.
- We got to spend a lot of time together as a family, feels wonderful after a rather hectic spring. Also relaxing for parents as kids were happy to explore new things and always could play close while we were doing some chores.
- Great to explore my home country more. My husband taught me that one doesn’t need to always travel far, and sometimes when the time is short it is nicer not to spent the time on the trip to get somewhere but to make the journey the destination as well.
- Great to catch up with friends and relatives I rarely see.
- Lovely to spend lots of time outdoors and in the nature as well as cook on fire.
- My highlights were the camping ground Metsäranta, Lievestuore animal farm, the crafts workshop in the handicrafts museum in Jyväskylä. The males still talk about aviation museum more than the crafts one.
- The children where not always thrilled about the drives but as we didn’t cover huge distances in a day, it wasn’t too bad. If we drove 2-3 hours we always timed it to the younger one’s napping time. Usually the older one would nap too, and still they slept well in the nights. Must be the fresh air. Also, always have a spare carrot in the car to entertain a bored/ hungry child, buys you some time.
- Us parents would have loved it all if it would not have been for the *cold* nights. It was the coldest June for years and we were stupid enough to only take summer sleeping bags for us. After a couple of nights we bought a winter bag for hubby and I slept with both summer bags on top of each other, and then we could enjoy the nights in the tent. We had been looking forward to loads of this from our previous roadtrip around Finland, but this time it was not going to happen.
- Rain. We checked the weather forecast in the mornings and headed away from the rain… but returned home 2 days earlier than planned as we just were not interested in two days in the tent with only rain.
- About 80e on diesel to drive about 1400kms.
- Accommodation for 8 nights of which 2 were spent at friends: 141e
- Food: 250e. Restaurants, cafes and self-cooked meals included.
- Sights: about 50e + 37e on the spa + 28e entrance fee to the house of Mr Hakkarainen
- Shopping…. 😉