The holiday season is over but we still have the weekends. There are a number of places one can easily enjoy within Helsinki but there are also some good options for day trips outside of Helsinki:
- Our most recent day trip was to the old town of the Tallinn, the capital of Estonia. The ferry ride to the capital takes 2 hours or less.
- Probably the most known one would be to the lovely little old town of Porvoo only half an hour drive from Helsinki.
- Fiskars and Billnäs, 1-1,5 hours drive to the village that grew around ironworks in the 17th century and has been turned into a centre of modern crafts and design.
- Early in the summer we did a day trip to Puuhamaa, an activity based fun park, located approximately half way between Helsinki and Tampere. It may close for the winter pretty soon though.
- The centre for five museums in Espoo, we only visited the toy one though.
- Espoo also hosts Marketta park, a permanent garden exposition. The last time I was there I was devastated to see that they had replaced the lovely kids wooden statue park with a typical playground. So now they have two playgrounds. Lucky they still have a number of labyrinth like paths, jetties, gates, picnic tables etc to entertain on a lovely day
- Haven’t done a post on these but Aulanko area in Hämeenlinna (about 1 hour driving towards Tampere) is lovely for people who like easy outdoors. Nuuksio national park in Espoo is closer, bigger and in natural state. Great for daytrips.
- How long can the travelling time for a day trip be? 2 hours by ferry to Tallinn was ok to me but I am not overly keen on doing the same hours driving without a good excuse. But if 2 hours is ok, then driving 2 hours to the north to Tampere (here for families) or two hours two the west to Turku would be good options too. Kotka is about as far to the East, and from what I can remember they have a great maritime museum and water park. And if “day trip” means spending a day somewhere but travelling the nights then St Petersburg and Stockholm are entertaining choices!
I have created a new category for day trips from Helsinki to make it easier to find those tips.
But what is a good day trip to you? How far do you travel and what do you want to do?